When I finally got my schedule to be vaccinated vs. COVID-19, I was glad and felt a sigh of relief, considering that I have been going out of the house almost daily despite the pandemic, either to run chores or go to the office. When I finally cued up for my designated schedule, I was told by the people manning the vaccine site how lucky I am that I was getting the Pfizer vaccine. For someone who really didn’t mind at all if I was getting Sinovac or Astra Zeneca or whatever was available, I could only smile and be confused why. Only after I read about the Pfizer vaccine later on did I realize that maybe, I really have come across some good fortune. And here are the top five reasons why:
1. The Pfizer vaccines that recently arrived in the Philippines came from the COVAX facility of the World Health Organization
The WHO says Priorities for the Pfizer Vaccine are A1 (Frontliners) A2 (Seniors) and A3 (Those with comorbidity). Of the more than two million doses that arrived, 1.86 million went to Manila, 210,600 to Cebu, and 210,600 to Davao.
2. The Pfizer vaccine may only see distribution in NCR, Davao and Cebu
Ss these are the only areas that have the storage facility to house the vaccine- which is said to require -70 degrees.
3. The first shot of Pfizer supposedly gets you an 85% protection against COVID, two and four weeks after getting the jab
And completing the second dose gives you 95 percent effectivity in preventing COVID-19 illness. This is according to a study published in the Lancet medical journal.
4. The vaccine has been found to be safe and effective in people with various conditions that are associated with increased risk of severe disease
This includes hypertension, diabetes, asthma, pulmonary, liver or kidney disease.
5. Pfizer, Moderna, Sinovac vaccines etc. is not 100% effective for everyone.
None of the existing vaccines can completely prevent transmission. This is why it is still important to wash your hands regularly, wear a mask, and practice social distancing.
Want anything featured on
Today’s Top Five?
Talk to us!